Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
what signal strength to look for? 

Hey, I'm looking to use one of the range extenders to improve the network on a boat in a marina. I see in some of the setup info that the network you want to capture needs a signal strength of "70%". I'd like to survey the network at the marina to determine if it would qualify. I assume I can use the WiFi Analytics tool but what sort of RSSI would I be looking for to use with the range extender. Or is there another OS or online tool that might give me some idea. And, if the signal is too low, I'm thinking the indoor/outdoor antenna would make the difference. I assume bidirectional refers to transmit and receive, correct?

Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:53 pm

arrhyno wrote:
Hey, I'm looking to use one of the range extenders to improve the network on a boat in a marina. I see in some of the setup info that the network you want to capture needs a signal strength of "70%". I'd like to survey the network at the marina to determine if it would qualify. I assume I can use the WiFi Analytics tool but what sort of RSSI would I be looking for to use with the range extender. Or is there another OS or online tool that might give me some idea. And, if the signal is too low, I'm thinking the indoor/outdoor antenna would make the difference. I assume bidirectional refers to transmit and receive, correct?

The analytics tool and any other wifi tool will only igve you an idea of what to expect. The true measurement comes from what the range extender shows, as you phones wifi card is not the same or as good as the range extender's. The outdoor antenna MAY make a difference, if connected to a 2.4 range extender (not a dual band), and the router NEEDS to be close enough as well. What I mean is that wifi is a two way street; not only does the router have to communicate to the range extender, but the range extender has to communicate back. So if the antenna doesn't help, you may need to strengthen the signal at the router first by using a directional AP or improve the router's antennas. Please call in at (888) 573 - 8820 for a better explanation.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]