Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Convert a Router into an Access Point 

Convert a Router Into an Access Point

Objective:

Amped Wireless currently does not make an Access Point for our Premium Series High Powered 600 mW line. Our routers can be configured to work just like a Access Point working with their existing router. The router will then bridge the two networks on to a single IP subnet. The router will act as a relay agent and pass DHCP requests to the existing router.

Overview:
  • Navigate to the System status in the Management Settings.
  • Locate the home (existing) router's IP address and subnet mask.
  • Navigate to the LAN Network Settings Page.
  • Disable the DHCP and set a static IP.
  • Plug the router into the existing router from LAN port to LAN port.

Steps:

1. Enter the router setup page. Connect either wired or wireless to the router. Open a web browser and enter 192.168.3.1 into the address bar. Enter the default username and password:
  • Username: admin
  • Password: admin

2. Determine the IP information of the existing router. Make sure the router's modem port is plugged into the existing router. Check the Internet Connection Status section of the System Status Page. More Settings | Management | System Status. Record the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway.

3. Now you need to disable the DHCP Server on the router and give it a static address on the home router's network. Navigate to the LAN Settings Page. More Settings | Network Settings | Local Network (LAN). To disable DHCP, locate the DHCP drop down and change it from Server to Disable. Manually enter the IP information you have already collected. Give the R10k an IP address that will not be assigned by the existing Router, make sure it is outside the DHCP servers scope. Enter the Default Gateway and subnet mask you recorded in the steps above

4. Click Apply , and then select reboot now. While the router is rebooting, unplug the Ethernet cable coming from the router going into the R10k's Modem port and then place it into the LAN port. For the R10k to work like an AP it needs to be plugged in LAN to LAN.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:10 am

I bought an RTA15 and followed this instruction convert to AP.But Guest account can’t go internet when I set Guest wireless to “Internet only”.Do we have suggestions?

thanks

Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:49 am

wenjieyan wrote:
I bought an RTA15 and followed this instruction convert to AP.But Guest account can’t go internet when I set Guest wireless to “Internet only”.Do we have suggestions?

thanks

When converting a router into an access point, you end up turning off the DHCP. This means that all the routing is being done through your home router. With DHCP off, it does not have the ability to restrict traffic from the local network. For the guest networks to work, they will have to have full network access.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:01 am

I did the conversion to make my routers a access point. I was trying to log in via ip address to do more configurations and could not. I made sure to check the option to log in via ip. I was able to log in before I made it a access point, but once I made it a access point, I was not able to log in via ip. Is this option not available once you convert it into a access point?

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:47 pm

yaboy713 wrote:
I did the conversion to make my routers a access point. I was trying to log in via ip address to do more configurations and could not. I made sure to check the option to log in via ip. I was able to log in before I made it a access point, but once I made it a access point, I was not able to log in via ip. Is this option not available once you convert it into a access point?

Yes, you should be able to get back into the management console for the router with the new IP address you assigned to it.

1. Make sure that you applied these setting in Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Safari. Do not use Firefox

2. Once applied power cycle our router for about 15 Seconds.

3. Make sure that you can ping the assigned IP address of our router

4. Then try to get back into the routers management console with the static IP assigned to the router.

One last thing, make sure, if your using our router as an AP, to connect our router to your current gateway router using one of the switch ports in back of our router (one the green wired ports). Do not use the blue modem port.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:07 am

You shouldn't need to disable DHCP on the amped router as long as you make sure the DHCP range on the amped router doesn't overlap with the DHCP range and IP of the main router.

E.g.

MAIN Router IP: 192.168.3.254
MAIN Router DHCP Range: 192.168.3.10 - 192.168.3.49

Amped Router static IP: 192.168.3.1
Amped Router DHCP Range: 192.168.3.50 - 192.168.3.100
Amped Router Gateway: 192.168.3.254

LAN port on Amped connected to LAN port on Main.

I would think this should allow for the guest setting to function when using the Amped router as an AP although I have not tested it as I have no need for the guest network function.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:28 am

surreyhockey wrote:
You shouldn't need to disable DHCP on the amped router as long as you make sure the DHCP range on the amped router doesn't overlap with the DHCP range and IP of the main router.

E.g.

MAIN Router IP: 192.168.3.254
MAIN Router DHCP Range: 192.168.3.10 - 192.168.3.49

Amped Router static IP: 192.168.3.1
Amped Router DHCP Range: 192.168.3.50 - 192.168.3.100
Amped Router Gateway: 192.168.3.254

LAN port on Amped connected to LAN port on Main.

I would think this should allow for the guest setting to function when using the Amped router as an AP although I have not tested it as I have no need for the guest network function.

This sounds like a good idea. The issue you will probably run into is the Amped Router Default Gateway. You will probably need to leave that at 0.0.0.0. Once you, or another user has tried this, feel free to let us know the results.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]