Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Connection between two buildings on the same service meter 

I need to know the feasibility of using powerline adapters to carry network service (internet access, LAN, shared devices) from my house to a 400 foot distant out-building. The two buildings are on separate load panels served by one service connection (meter). The signal would have to pass from my main router by ethernet to the powerline adapter, through the house power wiring to the house load center (breaker box), through a fuzed disconnect switch, through 400+ feet of buried service cable, to the out-building sub-panel, through the out-building power wiring to the second powerline adapter, and to an ethernet connected device (computer, switch, router).

WiFi does not look like the best solution because of the expense and complexity of overcoming the distance, line-of-sight obstructions and the metal walls of the out-building. Powerline adapters look like they should be such an easy, dependable, and inexpensive solution, unless there is a problem that I'm not seeing.

Advice from someone who has worked with powerline adapters in a similar environment would be greatly appreciated. :?: :?: :?: [/img]

Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:27 pm
geraldvg wrote:
I need to know the feasibility of using powerline adapters to carry network service (internet access, LAN, shared devices) from my house to a 400 foot distant out-building. The two buildings are on separate load panels served by one service connection (meter). The signal would have to pass from my main router by ethernet to the powerline adapter, through the house power wiring to the house load center (breaker box), through a fuzed disconnect switch, through 400+ feet of buried service cable, to the out-building sub-panel, through the out-building power wiring to the second powerline adapter, and to an ethernet connected device (computer, switch, router).

WiFi does not look like the best solution because of the expense and complexity of overcoming the distance, line-of-sight obstructions and the metal walls of the out-building. Powerline adapters look like they should be such an easy, dependable, and inexpensive solution, unless there is a problem that I'm not seeing.

Advice from someone who has worked with powerline adapters in a similar environment would be greatly appreciated. :?: :?: :?: [/img]

This may be possible if the powerline adapters are on the same circuit. If you can throw one circuit breaker and it turns off the power to both adapters, then it should work.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:07 pm

As described in my original post, this would have to be the circuit routing, "powerline adapter, through the house power wiring to the house load center (breaker box), through a fuzed disconnect switch, through 400+ feet of buried service cable, to the out-building sub-panel, through the out-building power wiring to the second powerline adapter." The signal would have to pass through 4 (four) circuit breakers - two at the house service panel and the master sub-panel breaker at the out-building and lastly through the sub-panel breaker servicing the curcuit that the powerline adapter is connected to. Do closed circuit breakers really interrupt the signal? That sounds strange to me since regular (non-GFI) circuit breakers are just excess load tripped line switches. It seems to me that only an open breaker would interrupt the continuity to any circuit down-stream of the service meter or even a power line transformer. It also seems that power line adapters would have very little application in anything like a contemporary house/office since wiring codes these days require so many breaker protected circuits. Are powerline adapters truly that capability limited? Am I missing something?

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:31 pm
geraldvg wrote:
As described in my original post, this would have to be the circuit routing, "powerline adapter, through the house power wiring to the house load center (breaker box), through a fuzed disconnect switch, through 400+ feet of buried service cable, to the out-building sub-panel, through the out-building power wiring to the second powerline adapter." The signal would have to pass through 4 (four) circuit breakers - two at the house service panel and the master sub-panel breaker at the out-building and lastly through the sub-panel breaker servicing the curcuit that the powerline adapter is connected to. Do closed circuit breakers really interrupt the signal? That sounds strange to me since regular (non-GFI) circuit breakers are just excess load tripped line switches. It seems to me that only an open breaker would interrupt the continuity to any circuit down-stream of the service meter or even a power line transformer. It also seems that power line adapters would have very little application in anything like a contemporary house/office since wiring codes these days require so many breaker protected circuits. Are powerline adapters truly that capability limited? Am I missing something?

With that setup, I am unsure if that will work. Normally, it needs to be on the same circuit. As with all our products, we offer a 30 day money back warranty just in case it doesn't work for you.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi there,
Well your idea of not opting for Wi-Fi is right as the signals in a Wi-Fi connection would be obstructed by the metal walls. Wi-fi is certainly not a good option and I know this very well because I stay in metal buildings lansing MI. Powerline adapters turns your electrical wall outlets into network points, so they maybe worth a try. But if you want to use powerline, make sure that none of you power outlets or extension leads are filtered. This will effectively block the signal. The best option according to me is cable anytime.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]